"Salute The Runway" kick off for Mercedes Benz Fashion Week New York

9/05/2014


"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." - Earl Nightingale




Blazer:  H&M (last season) // alternative here or here
Dress: She Inside // Here
Shoes: Easy Pickins // similar here
Earrings: Local jewelry Boutique in Queens, NY












Hi Fashionista's,

I'm really excited to share my experience at a very touching and empowering fashion show event that happened on September 3 at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week,  in Lincoln Center. It was held the night before MBFW so it was the kick off for a great start to Fashion week. I was surrounded by military people, fashion editors, bloggers, designers, friends and family. The energy was great and the people were all very excited to see the 14 military women strut there stuff down the runway. 

Salute the Runway gives military servicewomen advice on how to dress for occasions, especially in the workplace. The little black dress was the focus and classic pieces shared on the models. Fashion designers contributed the Little Black Dresses for the models to showcase down the runway. The Designers were, Betsey Johnson, Tadashi, Carmen Marc Valvo, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Nicole Miller, Rebecca Taylor, DKNY, Tahari, Calvin Klein and Norisol Ferrari.

The women modeling down the runway were absolutely beautiful! As they walked down the runway they had a screen showing them in there military uniforms and the transformation from soldier to glamorous women was absolutely touching. They all looked like models and what was really unique about them was how they would walk down the runway and then pose and salute! It was so great!





If you haven’t heard about this campaign, Fatigues to Fabulous is a national campaign that recognizes and supports military women. Some of these women are transitioning from military life to civilian life. It’s really an adjustment for them since all they know is the military lifestyle.
As a Army wife myself, I always think about that transition for my husband and us when we are finished with the military. All my husband knows is the military lifestyle and I fear how it would affect him because he’s so used to it now. It’s really a different world from a soldier to a civilian. I’ve seen it first hand through my husband’s buddies, men and women who were soldiers and then got out of the military. Some of them took different routes with themselves, that were so different from there military occupational specialty (MOS) as soldiers. It’s like a whole 360 of changes for them and that also needs time for adjustments.  It’s really scary and a reality check. I know with the Military they don’t give up on there veterans if you find the right people and organization for support. Some people don’t realize how much we have support in the military, even as a Army spouse. I make the effort to reach out to people, so I know that I am aware and involved within the military family. I’ve met amazing and interesting people while in the military. I think it’s so important to help each other for whatever reason because the world is sometimes cruel, but they're people who want to do better or be better. You just have to be careful and really be  aware with who to trust and stay positive.

This is a serious and great campaign to know about. I am really happy I discovered them through fashion, I wish I found them earlier since my life is about military and fashion. I hope to reach out to more military women and spouses. I also hope that you ladies will know about Salute the Runway and Fatigues to Fabulous and utilize them for yourselves and support them. Let anyone and everyone you know who is a military service woman, spread the word about them!

Here are the links to follow and learn more:

You can also donate through ShoutForGood.com
They have a phone app too.


Thank you for reading and Happy Friday, especially Happy New York Fashion Week!

Fashionably Yours,
Rhea






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form